9th October 2024, Visiting Avebury Stones, a World Heritage UNESCO Site

I always take too many photos.  Thank goodness for digi cameras.  I get a bit snap happy, and when a cousin asked if I'd like to have a stopover in Wiltshire to visit the Stones, I said 'Yes!' immediately.   I knew I had to add this to my Journal. 


The Avebury Stones are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site linked to Stonehenge.  They are freely accessible,  being part of the landscape around the village of Avebury.  You do cross farm land, and it's hilly, with animals grazing.  You need to be respectful of other people's property.  It is challenging.  However,  we did it!  

You can park in the NT car park,  a charge applies.  From there you can walk to Avebury Manor and Gardens, also chargeable.  The real attraction though are the Pre Historic sites of Avebury. 

We ate lunch at the Red Lion, apparently the only pub within a stone circle,  anywhere.  The staff were friendly and the food was good.  I recommend it.  We parked in their car park.  After eating we set off to explore the area.  The Stone Circles are easy to find, they begin almost on the Red Lion's doorstep.   

For me, there were a few surprises.   I had no idea that some of the Stones are so large or so varied.  They are not uniform at all, but irregular and misshapen.   

I was told that this stone is called The Seat of Isis.

From Avebury,  we followed the Avenue of Stones.  Not straight as I'd imagined,  but curved.  At some point,  the road has cut through one of the curves, something that shouldn't have happened.

A local information volunteer gave us instructions on how to find the Long Barrow.  One tip is print a map before you visit.  There is next to no WiFi or phone signal and signposts are scarce.  You can drive to small lay bys, but the walk is so much more satisfying.


We wouldn’t have found the views we did if we had driven to each monument. On the day we visited the weather was thankfully perfect for October.  This is Silbury Hill, the largest man made earth structure in Europe.   You cannot climb it!

There were several other groups of walkers, and many stopped to chat.  Some lived locally and were obviously knowledgeable about the area, and enjoyed passing on their experiences.

Many people touch the stones and report feeling connected or feel them vibrate.  One tried to show us how to place both hands, palm down, on the stones, but as much as I felt there is something magical about them, I couldn't feel the vibrations.  

At the Long Barrow, you can step inside one end.  It's dark, of course, and you need to watch your step.  People before us have left flowers and oak leaves as a tribute to our ancestors.   I wished I had taken some offering.

There is something humbling about walking in the steps of our ancestors.   We will never know the true purpose of this landscape, however,  with all the troubles of the world today, there is something almost reassuring that we can be in touch with the earth.  There is something enduring that transcends time.

I wish I could have stayed longer.  I would have liked to just sit and just be.  Maybe next time.

❤️

Comments