Two Sheds, and a Robin Nest

As I grow older I become more determined to sort my life.  I noticed that my mother, as she grew older, gave so many of her belongings away.  Now I am doing the same.  My other half is a hoarder.  He hasn't reached the time to sort and clear.  It drives me just a little bit bonkers!

I get that some belongings are precious.   I haven't cleared everything,  and it's the items that have emotional meaning that are the hardest.   I have offered some items to family members, however,  they are generally not wanted.  Old photos!  I've inherited hundreds of them and they're are many I can't identify.   I mean to digitise them one day but I can't sit still long enough to do it.  CDs and DVDs!  It's hard to take things to the recycling centre when they may have some use, but if family don't want them, charity shop have declined, and you can’t give them away, what else do you do.  My other half keeps them.

Maybe it’s my diagnosis that makes me so determined to want to sort my life.  That memory of twice being admitted to hospital as an emergency,  I even like the laundry sorted regularly in case I'm rushed away.  I mean, I'll need a supply of clean undies! 

I really don’t want to leave a mess behind me.  I have always liked order though, and I am mostly a tidy person.  I dislike clutter.  I fail to understand how you can find things you need, if you don’t tidy, even occasionally.  I’m not saying I dust often 😎.  However,  even as a child I can remember tidying my bedroom because I liked it to look nice. 

This week we took delivery of a new shed.  It's a replacement,  not an addition,  but it's in a different place in the garden and the plan is to sort, clear, and just keep the items we use.  Transfer from old to new.  A new start. It hasn't gone to plan. 

We found this Robins' nest, tucked behind a pile of old roof felt, pond liner and various items that I've scheduled for recycling.   It's beautifully made, with 5 eggs, and we’re really hoping we haven't frightened the robins away.  They are fairly tame, we feed them daily, we just hadn't realised they had built a nest in the old tumbling down shed 😕.  Any other time we would be delighted.   When you think about the amount of effort that the robin has put into building this nest, it’s just amazing.  Leaves, grass, feathers, there is green moss so it must be fairly new.  This may keep me awake at night!

So garden shed plans are on hold again.  I'm OK with the robins.  I know they will fledge in their own time.  I'm not so sure about the old pond liner, the roof felt etc 🤔🤷‍♀️😀.  





Comments