Slow Fitness

I've been reminded of Slow Fitness.  I've been reading about it and honestly think it's what I've practiced before.  I did try the Couch to 5k App but it really wasn't for me.  For one thing,  it's very hilly where I live and the App doesn't seem to take any account of that.  Likewise,  the Active 10 App.  Walking briskly along the prom is quite different to climbing a hill.  Or maybe I'm missing something.  I found both frustrating. 

Anyhow, I have a step counter and I usually try to walk at least 10,000 steps a day.  I've also read, quite recently,  that 5,000 might be enough, but I prefer more.  10,000 steps is normally about right for me,  I think.  It is just getting out in the fresh air that helps me so much.


There are signs of spring if you can look for them.   Often we just look at our feet when walking.   It’s important to look up sometimes, to look forward.

I've been reading a lot just recently (and playing brain training games but that’s another post)   Fiction and non fiction.  I'm being bombarded online by healthy eating recipes and ways to stay fit.  I've read that Slow Fitness means you set comfortable limits, you modify exercise, it doesn't focus on high intensity and you rest when needed.  We'll, that's not new!  It's what so many people,  recovering from so many conditions,  do.  It's certainly what I did and I suspect many other TTP survivors do too.  It's ideal!  You just try to do a little and build yourself up.  So I've taken a pause,  Slow Fitness it is for now.  I needed reminding. 

We've had a few dry days and now more weather warnings for heavy rain.  Today is so wet, again!  I do feel I have given in to the weather. Perhaps it's my age, but each time I go walking and get wet, I seem to pay a price.  So many colds!  Enough!  I go out to meet friends, for appointments, for leisure (we saw Bob Marley, One Love, on Monday),  daily Tai Chi, but no walking in the heavy rain.  I'm dreaming of sunshine, warmth, the sheer bliss of being out in fine weather.   Slow Fitness.  I'm not sitting still, just different.  I've mused for a long time about vacuuming being a good workout.  

My mindfulness is changing too.  Yesterday,  I cleaned the oven!  I discovered,  via YouTube, how to remove the glass in the doors!  Fake Tips included using wire coat hangers,  pushing wet tissues through holes.  An Aeg information video showed, correctly, how to find clips.  It made my day.  So sad, but it was exercise,  and it was free!  😅 😅

I'm not happy being unable to walk outside every day.  It is me, it is what I do, but for just a while, I feel I need to recover again, and I'm not sure what from.  It's temporary.  Like winter.  Spring is coming.  

❤️


Comments