Weekend Walks

It may have been the busy weekend plus the Covid vaccination, but I've had a lot of fatigue this week.   A couple of really lazy days, naps, and easy meals.  It's been very wet too, and I'm a bit of a fair weather walker now.

Thankfully,  by this weekend I was partially restored and able to get a decent amount of steps in.  The sun has returned and, the rain and wind have gone, it's a lovely,  if autumnal day.

I read on Facebook that someone had seen a murmuration of Starlings down by Butlins and I walked down to the seafront yesterday,  doing a loop.  Somehow it's always nicer coming back a different route, and I much prefer walking a circle. 

Leaves are starting to fall from trees and dusk is getting earlier by the day.  I went down around the suggested time but didn't see a single Starling.  The weather had cleared by then, but not one.  At least I got steps in.  Murmurations are something I need to work on.  We had heating on in the evening,  for the first time this autumn.   We tried to put it off for as long as we could, but in a moment of weakness gave in about 8 pm.

This morning, the sun is shining again and we decided we had to make the most of it.  Washing on the line, we made sandwiches and a flask and drove up to North Hill.   The weather app said 10° so we took big coats but could have managed without them.  Walking always makes me warm!   And the sun helped.

The shadows are lengthening, this young Exmoor seemed to be alone but we know adults won't be far away.

View across to the Bristol Channel.  It was remarkably blue today.

This side track leads from the Hill Road, others are not so neat!

A narrow track through the gorse.  It's still flowering in places, but the heather and blackberries are finished.  The bracken is turning brown.

There are signs and many gates, for stock grazing.  Most people take care, I was frustrated today to see a couple of dogs running free on a path where cattle were grazing.  I guess everyone thinks their dog won't misbehave.   I'm not so sure if the cattle know that.

Finally,  a path back to the Van, with a stunning view along the coast.

Sandwiches,  scones with cream cheese and a cuppa.   What's not to like. 🥪☕️

Comments