A Walk Along Regents Canal

This weekend we've been away with family again.  It's always exciting and exhausting, and I wouldn't miss a moment of it 😊.  We did the whole thing on public transport again, our way of avoiding the stress of motorways and cutting our footprint.   We travelled around on underground trains and London buses, its good to see them being well used.   We also walked for miles!  Collected conkers in Greenwich Park,  and played!  😊



I like to visit Camden Market occasionally.   Always busy but so interesting, I'm fascinated by the underground stables where horses were cared for.  Yesterday we came across these umbrellas, so uplifting!  🤭

Travelling home yesterday,  we decided to walk from Camden Lock to Paddington Station.   It took about an hour,  but under 3 miles, along a flat tow path.
We've walked this stretch several times, and saw more people and boats this time than ever before.  

Some boats were smart, others not so.  I'm thankful for a roof over my head and a nice home.  

Judging by the number of tarpaulins, at Camden, many here are not so lucky.


Today the canal was an oasis in the city.  Tourists, joggers, habitants,  making the most of the fine weather before winter.  We didn't see a lot of wildlife,  but some lads had caught Perch and there were a few ducks and coots about.   A litter picker had a full cart and he was doing a great job.  We only saw one plastic bottle,  out of reach.

The path passes by Regents Park Zoo and you can hear some of the animals.  The day was amazingly warm for October,  I suspect many were seeking shade.  Carrying our backpacks, and our coats, because of the unexpected heat, we needed more shade ourselves. 

As we reached Paddington Station we crossed the Grand Union Canal.  It's lined with  cafes, people enjoying alfresco coffees and the view.  Strange that years ago people and horses pulled cargo  up and down these waterways, when life was hard and simpler. I sometimes think I was born too late, but then I wouldn't have survived TTP or many other diseases.   Maybe I have lived before. 


On arriving home,  with Fish and Chips,  we collapsed in front of the tele and caught up on the news.  I can see why some people are sinking into depression.  The news from around the world, especially that shown by the media, is rarely good.  But there are good things happening and you have to swim towards them.  I have friends that don't watch the news on TV anymore.  That does seem a little like burying your head,  but I understand that too.  I can't do that, I feel drawn to a reliable update, there is so much false info it's important to get a proper view of the world.  Just don't allow yourself to drown in it.  Sometimes it's like watching a film, or reading fiction.   It's hard to believe that these things are really happening.  It's the children that affect me the most.  I’m never sure how much more I can do, just be aware, give to the right people, and try to keep my little patch as organic and carbon free as I can.  Thank goodness for all the good work that is being done.  While some people are bent on destruction,  others are doing all they can to give some sort of comfort.   If there is a heaven, in whatever form, I think I know who will get there.

When I'm in remission,  the feeling of denial is much the same.  I recently wrote my story for a Web page and it did bring the shock of the medical emergency back to me.  It's easy to cope with TTP when I'm well.  I think it's good to occasionally remember what really happened.   Like history,  I can't change it, but I can acknowledge it and learn.

Today we are having our Covid jabs.  I’m told it’s better to have it than not.   I really hope it doesn’t upset me, I’m doing so well and feeling good.  Swim.  It’s the only way.




Comments