National Racehorse Week and Fossil Hunting

My lovely husband, who drives me to all appointments and supports me in a 100 different ways, asked me to be his +1 at an event he really wanted to attend.   It's National Racehorse Week and a trainer's yard not far from where we live opened its gates to visitors this morning.   Horses are not my favourite animal,  they are huge, have four strong legs and a lot of teeth.  Still, how could I say no.


Not only is Sandhill Racing Stables nearby, its also where our winner at  Newton Abbot is stabled.  We're not regular race goers, but it was a chance to see how well cared for they are.  The horses did indeed look extremely content and well cared for.  Not a grumpy horse in sight.  All the staff were happy to answer questions and were clearly very fond of their animals.   I know a lot of people are against horse racing,  but most animals work in one way or another,  and I feel sure that these horses are by no means badly treated.   We were assured that if a horse doesn't want to race, it will plant its hooves in the ground and refuse.   I believe that!


I'm fine with horses if they are the other side of the fence.   I have ridden a horse briefly,  before sliding off on to ground.  I just couldn't get the hang of it at all, much to the amusement of my friends.   I've been in awe of those who take to riding ever since.  Never let anyone tell you its easy!


We were told at the beginning of the visit that nowhere was off limits, photos and videos were allowed, and it's perfectly OK to share them on social media.   So here goes.

Heading off to the Gallops.

Not a bad office for a day's work.

A while in the field before being taken in, out of the sun.

Wash down before going back to the stables.

Equipment at the ready.

Blacksmith giving a pedicure. 

Probably the closest I've been to a horse for a very long time.   This is Dan's Chosen, our winner at Newton Abbot.


After earning my Brownie Points this morning, we had a picnic at Kilve Beach.   We haven't been there for years, and I just wanted to take a look.  You can find fossils if you're lucky, but to be honest I'm not sure if we did or didn't today.  The sun grew stronger and hotter as the afternoon approached and without a hat or cream I knew I had to leave much earlier than planned.   Its a trip for another day.  But I did have a couple of interesting finds.

I like to collect heart shaped rocks ❤️

Is this a fossil or not?  The lines were clearly indented into the rock.

Kilve Beach.  


Kilve Beach is just off the A39, there are rock pools, a pay car park and there are toilets (not great but they are there!)  Watch out for cliff falls and tides.  


Comments