A Change in the Weather

I woke at 6ish this morning to the crashes and flashes of a thunder storm.   It was dark and I flicked the torch on my phone to find my slippers.  My husband was already awake too.   I went downstairs and made tea.  The rain was lashing down and I could hear it bouncing off our outhouse. 

I awoke again about 9ish, the thunder was still rumbling around although I don't know if it was the same storm or a sequel.   I pulled the curtains back and saw water gushing passed our house.  The same thing had happened a few years ago, when a sluice on the top road became blocked.  We tried to phone Wessex Water but all lines were engaged. 

Morrisons phoned, asking if we would be able to get to them to pick up our click and collect order (for some reason they had given us a £12 voucher if we ordered on line 🤷‍♀️.   We said we could and found our boots and long raincoats.   Checking outside again, we saw that the drain covers in the road had started to lift and we thought it best to go then, rather than hang about.

Nearing Morrisons the road was completely under water, covering the kerbs and the edge of the roundabouts.  Why do they continue to build on flood plains!  An elderly neighbour told us years ago that he and his brothers rowed boats where homes and businesses now stand.  Roads are name Marshfield,  Marsh Gardens,  the clue is surely in the names.  The water has to go somewhere.   I hope the hospital is safe.

We collected our shopping and went straight home.  The sluice had been cleared,  maintenance men were working their way around the town.  The torrent outside our house had abated, leaving cracked tarmac and more potholes.

Today has been an upside down sort of day.  Rain throughout most of the day,  misty still, brightening up enough to walk in the evening.   I'm falling behind with my steps and the miles on the End to End Virtual Artic Walk.  A good walk this evening is just what was needed. 

Red sky at night, shepherd's delight.  But more rain is forecast. 

Tomorrow is blood test day.  It comes around quickly.   I always wonder if they can tell if I've exercised and know what I've eaten from the tests.  It spurs me on.

Can't help thinking of all the people affected far more seriously by climate change.   My heart goes out to them.  





Comments