End of Summer

It's cold here today.   Either that or I have a cold coming.   I've changed my long sleeve T shirt for a sweatshirt and I'm wearing jeans.  It doesn't feel like we've had a summer,  despite a few occasional days of warmth and sunshine.   Odd days when the sun has caught me out and burnt my skin.   Today I'm shivering.   It's August!

We've had a good few months.   Family visiting,  going out to favourite places every day.   So much walking!   Picnics,  breakfast in the garden on a few days and doors open.  Today feels like we should have heating,  but of course we won't.  Just another layer and back to socks and fluffy slippers.

Our August garden hasn't really taken off.  We have green but not much flower.   Many of the taller plants have been blown over, the Shasta Daisies,  Perpetual Stocks, Agapanthus, all look over before their time.  Except the Japanese Anemones, they are still upright,  swaying back and forwards.   I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow if it's drier.  

I've been dreaming a lot again just recently.   Odd dreams, places I've worked at and associated problems.   One night I couldn't balance the petty cash, not really a problem but it was the biggest claim I ever saw.  Friends walking to school,  stopping at cafes for lunch and losing phones.  Someone throwing away all of my tablespoons,  although that may have come from a ginger cake recipe I followed.   I did doubt the amount of ginger but stuck to the recipe anyway!  

I'm pretty certain I dream when I'm anxious or stressed and this week I'm anxious for family members coping with a situation I wish I could solve.  

Last week we went to a local beach, one you can drive right up to.  My great niece, 7 years old, commented the water was too far out to swim.   I had to agree, we played in the rock pools instead.   But as I said to her, there are things we can't control,  like the tides.  Life is often like that.  Despite all efforts,  there are somethings you can't change. 

Anyway, I feel like I'm a Japanese Anemone.   Bowing to the wind but fighting on.  Blood tests are good again.   Stand straight.  Looking outwards at the world, watching,  waiting,  hoping.  Fighting.  Staying positive.  Loving. 

Autumn is on the way.   I'm getting older.  My invitation to claim my pension has arrived.   That's my silver lining. 



Comments