A Walk Around Stonehenge

Today I persuaded my husband to stop at Stonehenge again 😊

The place fascinates me, ever since my first visit in the 1950s as a very small child.  I have an old family photo with my sister, parents, an uncle, and grandparents plus the family dog, Chips.  Goodness knows how we got there from the town we lived in back then.   Now I am the only one left from that group, its a sobering,  but timeless, thought.  It is positively spiritual. 

We've passed the stones on many occasions,  travelling along the A303.  The traffic often slows down on that stretch as drivers easy off the accelerator to take a look.  There are often accidents and a solution is needed, although I'm not sure what it is.

Anyway,  today, we visited again.  We had allowed time and my son and I were able to walk from the Visitor Centre to the stones.  Its an easy walk of about 30 minutes,  and an excellent chance to stretch your legs after being cooped up in the back seat along with sleeping bags and frozen scones.

It was busy today, really you're best to book in advance or even take membership.  Check on line though, offers to join vary and you should check them out.

There was a cool wind and I was glad of my fleece.

Plenty of people were circling the ring, but we managed to wait and avoid most of them on the furthest side.

I guess we'll never know who or why it was really built. 

Or how long it took from start to finish. 

It will always be a place of mystery to me.

I can't believe it was simply a trading post.

It has to be more spiritual.


When we were living in houses like this, the circle was surely one of the greatest structures on Earth.



English Heritage and the National Trust seem to work closely at this site although closer access to the stones is chargeable to EH.   You can't get in without a ticket, which must be obtained at the Visitor Centre.   However you can get access,  somehow, to the NT land and some of the mounds.  I'll be working on that next time 🤔

Comments