WASPI - Women Born in the 1950s

I admit, this is a bit of a rant.  And I know I'm not alone.  I was born in the later half of the 1950s and I can't claim my State Pension until I'm 66 years old.  Despite going back to work when my children went to school and caring for an aged parent who lived with us throughout his last years, and living with a chronic, life threatening condition, I can't claim a penny.

I really am looking forward to my state pension.  I do consider I have earned it and I'm owed years of back pension by the government.  When I left school at 16 years old, so full of hope, I never thought for one moment I would be where I am now.  I have made a small donation to the Waspi Appeal.  I've also given small amounts to Unicef, Water Aid, and others because I know they are far worse off than me.  

On the brightside,  I have amazing family and friends.  The NHS has saved my life and that of others with chronic conditions although its crying out for help itself.   Many other women born in the 1950s and those following us are being ripped off. Men also have to wait an additional year before they can claim.  And yes, you have to claim it, it doesn't come automatically to anyone. 

So Porridge for Breakfast is healthy but its also cheap.  

This isn't meant to be a sob story, but it helps to get things off your chest.  I know I am lucky and I count my blessings.  But shame on our Government for making our later years so difficult.   I often wonder whether, if 1950s women were better off, and if the nurses weren't still paying off students loans, the economy might benefit.  


And now I'm off for my mindfulness walk, which is free 😊😘.  



Comments