Sheds or Summer Houses


Nearly 20 years ago we bought a little wooden summer house for our garden.   We carefully wood stained it and collected some old conservatory furniture from a local Clutterbuster site.  We pretended it was somewhere to relax and occasionally sat in it of an evening.  My husband called it my shed.

I admit I never felt really comfortable in it.  For one thing, the spiders seemed to like it more than me.   It became deserted and almost derelict.   Last year my husband thought we should dismantle it and just be rid.

Then I discovered Pinterest!   I began to search for pics and ideas of little projects I could do around the home and I found many ideas for summer houses.

Now we have given our old wooden summer house a second chance, and what a difference we made on a really small budget!

We painted the outside with Cuprinol Garden Shades, a good investment, but for the inside we used some paint left over from the kitchen.   On a visit to B&Q we found two reduced packs of laminate flooring which my husband used to cover the old boards.   I searched local charity shops for a couple of small tables and found some for £5 each.  Two coats of paint and a scrap of PVC covered fabric transformed them.


I dyed the old chairs covers and decorated the summer house with cushions, pebbles found on the beach, and odd bits and pieces I have collected over the years.  We added to the seaside feel with a port hole mirror and my handmade deckchair style blankets.


And found a home for precious gifts from friends.


I wonder if anyone else spent hours on the beach looking for lucky pebbles. :-)


Its now the perfect place to relax.  Tucked under our old cherry tree, its cool and comfy.   And no spiders to be found! 



Comments