Simple Cushion Covers

I have wanted to recover our cushions for sometime now but had been put off by my dislike of inserting zips into anything.  Apart from the cost of the zip, (you can buy clothes in some stores for less than the price of a zip) there is a certain skill required, I believe.

On Sunday though I found an amazing bargain, an end of roll 6.4 metres for £19.99 in Dunelm Mill and I was persuaded.    And after changing the bed covers I wondered if I could make cushion covers in the same style as pillow cases.   Sometimes there is only one way to find out, so I set about trying the idea!  Here is my way of making cushion covers, others may know a better way :-)

1.  Measure the cushion pad.


2.  Cut a long rectangle of fabric.   The narrow side should measure the width of the cushion plus seam allowance, the longer side should at be least two and a half times the width of the cushion to allow for the overlap.


3.  Hem the 2 narrow edges.


4. Fold the hemmed edges in, overlapping them with the right side of the fabric inside.


5.    Place pins in each corner to hold the cover at a width wide enough to fit your cushion.


6.  Pin and stitch the cover along the seams, reinforcing the stress points with reverse stitching and zigzag the raw edges.


7.  Turn the cover out the right way, making sure you push the corners as square at you can.


8.  Insert the cushion pad into the cover, make sure the corners of the pad are pushed into the corners of the cover and smooth the overlap.


Ta Dah!


One very easy way of recovering tired cushions :-)

Comments